Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Sherlock Holmes Reborn?


Hello and welcome back to the next edition of Ink Stained Fingers were books of all flavors get their time in the spot light.

Well, you’ve seen me review quite a few vampire novels since this blog was created and one list.

For those that don’t like vampire novels, this must have been hell on earth.

Well fear no longer. My next book has nothing to do with vampires. Come to think of it, it has nothing to do with anything supernatural at all.

The book I chose for today is something I had to read when I took a Popular Female Literature class back in college. Since then the series has become one of my favorite ones of all time.

What book am I talking about?

I’m referring to the book The Beekeeper’s Apprentice by Laurie R. King.

While the synopsis to the book starts talking about Sherlock Holmes, the series is really about a young woman named Mary Russell. The book as well as the rest of the series is from her point of view starting with meeting a retired Sherlock Holmes on the Sussex Downs.

From then on, it’s her personality, her intelligence, and her stubbornness that draw them into a close confidence as friends. Eventually, this paves the way to a kidnapping of a young girl that forces the recluse Sherlock Holmes to take Mary Russell as his partner. A decision that lead them into a bigger mystery than either of them are prepared for.

For those that have read the Sherlock Holmes stories by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, this Sherlock Holmes bears a similar resemblance to the Doyle version. However, you must keep in mind this is a sort of “what if” type of Sherlock Holmes. As in, what if Sherlock Holmes retired in his later years and met a woman who could match him in intelligence, wit, and strength?

I’ve read some of the original Sherlock Holmes stories. People that know me best know that I tend to put more pressure on later books that are about the same person that an earlier writer wrote about or when someone makes a book into a movie.

I have to admit, the way the story was written does seem like a logical leap from Sherlock Holmes as an active investigator to Sherlock Holmes the retired beekeeper.

This is one series that I really don’t want to give anything away on.

The story writing is never boring and the action keeps you riveted. Normally, the first book in the series is so full of information that you are slogging your way through till the second or even third book. This book, however, manages to give you the details leading up to the events in a way that flows well, offers enough info without overloading the reader, and keeping the plot moving forward.

It’s a hard task to accomplish but Laurie R. King has found the way to make a story easy to get into and nearly impossible to put down.

I’ve always been addicted to mysteries. Heck, I’ll even admit to reading Nancy Drew novels as a young girl and wanting to own every one that ever existed.

I’m sure some of my friends will never let me live that little secret down. Oh well.

But this is a book for an older audience. Who would’ve thought that you’d get sexual tension in a Sherlock Holmes series? I’m not kidding. The series will keep you guessing till the very last sentence.

The books series is now 9 books long as Laurie King as come out with yet another book in this series. However, Sherlock Holmes is and always will be an icon in the mystery genre. I personally hope that someone keeps that tradition alive for years to come.

If you like mysteries, Sherlock Holmes, strong women or any combo of the three, then go out and give The Beekeeper’s Apprentice by Laurie R. King a shot. Even if you think mysteries aren’t the genre of books for you, I still recommend this series. Try this little technique out if you think you won’t like them.

Drive or ride or bum a ride over to your favorite book store, pull this book off the shelf and just start reading. If you come to your senses in the third chapter then get this book because just maybe they are the genre for you.

I’m Creative Karma and I’m addicted to mysteries.

No comments:

Post a Comment